Monday, June 22, 2009

Courage.

Cour-age: (n). The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery.


Not exactly a word I would use to describe a trait of my own, yet 3 people in as many days have said I do posess it, and in a fair amount too.

Naturally I had to question their reasonings behind such comments, and was told that:

* I am brave because I constantly change my hair style/ colour.
* I am brave because I took a chance and made a move that some considered to be a bit extreme.
* I am brave because I walked away from an unhappy situation, even if it meant changing the course of my life.
* I am brave because I don't hold back who I am, I stick to my guns and if others don't like it then too bad.
* I am brave for speaking my mind, regardless of the outcome.

Funny thing is, I disagree with everything they said to me. I am far from brave, I am fearful of some decisions I have made. I second guess things that have happened, over analyze stuff that gets said to me, and try too hard to make everyone else happy, before trying to make myself happy.

* I change my hair because I get bored with it easily, and I have a wicked hairstylist who likes to experiment :).
* I made the big move because I wanted to, the offer was there I took it.
* I walked away because it was a choice of that or have a nervous breakdown. Misery is a bitch.
* I am who I am, why bother pretending to be anyone else, it just ends up hurting someone.
* I speak before I think, this is not a brave trait.. it is a curse.

What do you know, maybe my friends are right.. maybe I do possess a slight amount of courage after all..

No comments:

Post a Comment